Last night we hosted a dinner party for some of the worship team at church. We’ve been discussing what to serve at our party for over a month now, and I had finally narrowed all the options down to just one – Soup Night. I thought it would be fun (and easy) to make two or three different types of soup, bake a couple of loaves of bread and call dinner finished. It seemed a little more original than my first and second choices, which were Taco Night or Spaghetti Night. I started planning which soups to make and which breads to bake when I stumbled up on a brilliant idea. Chili Bar! So that’s what we did!
Here’s what you need to pull off a pretty awesome Chili Bar for your next party!
- Chili (click for recipe)
- Hot Dogs & Buns
- French Fries
- Tortilla Chips
- Corn Muffins (click for recipe)
- Individual Frito Bags
- Veggies – Lettuce, Tomatoes, Onions, Jalapenos, etc.
- Dips – Queso, Salsa, Quacamole, etc.
- Condiments – Ketchup, Mustard, Sour Cream, etc.
Just a couple of notes…
1. Don’t assume your grocery store will sell individual bags of Fritos. If you do, you will be assured that they won’t. Sadly, no Frito Pie in a Bag last night.
2. Take advantage of the Mega Trio at Tijuana Flats. It’s $11.19 well spent, and you get some killer queso, guacamole & salsa to go with all those chips!
3. Have fun with it! I forgot to make the spaghetti and I couldn’t find the Fritos, and everyone still had a great time. I’ve never seen adults so excited for hot dogs!
I admit that I was pretty stressed about hosting last night. I’d been out of town for four days and was still recovering from the lack of sleep from my weekend away. I worried that the floors weren’t clean enough. I wasn’t happy that my Halloween towels were still in the dryer. And when the doorbell rang and our first guests arrived the french fries were still baking and the hot dogs were still cooking.
But you know what? None of those things mattered. Dinner was served when it was ready. People ate and enjoyed seconds and thirds. The kids played well together. We joined together as a worship team from all campuses of our church, connecting over a common bond and enjoying a fun meal.